Wednesday, October 22, 2008

OK, so I know that October is Breast Cancer Awareness month (how could anyone NOT know...you can't get away from it), but it seems like you can't turn on the TV or radio or look at a magazine or newspaper without being reminded of it. Now I'm not going to say that it is a bad thing to raise money to fight a deadly disease, or that we shouldn't be raising awareness of treatments and preventative measures. What I am going to say is that a little perspective is necessary. According to the American Cancer Society's numbers for 2004, an American female is nearly twice as likely to die from lung cancer as breast cancer, and there is much more that can be done by changing behavior (quitting smoking, etc.) to prevent lung cancers. Also, more men die each year from prostate cancer than women from breast cancer. I think a little more balance is necessary. Maybe I'll start wearing a different color ribbon to support prostate cancer awareness...then again, maybe I'll just stop watching so much TV.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home